Tuesday, February 12, 2008

public attention to this "great awakening"


There is an interesting little op-ed article that I read in the NY Times. In the article, the author draws special attention to how evangelicals are caring for the poor and oppressed. He calls them "Evangelicals A Liberal Can Love" - which is funny to me because although I understand the seemingly great divide that exists between people who stringently adhere to the labels "evangelical" or "liberal" I feel like I flirt with both evangelicalism and liberalism [for different reasons].

I think that following Jesus in some ways has less to do with political categorizations and more to do with critically thinking about how, as followers of Jesus, we are to engage with the world in which God has placed us. Jim Wallis is coming out with a new book called, "The Great Awakening." The book discusses trends with an emerging generation of Christians and how [they/we] are taking the teachings of Jesus in practical light and doing remarkably creative things in order to serve and care for the poor. I'm looking forward to reading it.

If you can, read the NY Times article and let me know what you think. It is brief. I found it refreshing to read an article by an author from "the American coasts" (more liberal-minded, like my neighbors here in Portland) who is trying to build a conversation of sorts between these often opposing religio-political camps.

Check it out. Enjoy. :)

No comments: